After the end of the war, she was transferred to the Mediterranean along with the other three ships of the class. See the notes on the gunnery groups to see how this loosely mimics the fire control instruments. , In 1916, it was approved that the ships should have a range rate transmitter/receiver pair between TS and spotting top for the main armament. Marlborough's were pedestal-mounted, and the others tripod-mounted. After the outbreak of the Second World War that year, her remaining guns were removed to be used in shore defences. , Her secondary battery directors were installed in May, 1917. , These guns fired 100 lb (45.4 kg) shells at a rate of between 5–7 per minute. , There were some significant problems with the casemate guns early on, however. Ships, http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/tfs/index.php?title=Iron_Duke_Class_Battleship_(1912)&oldid=298647. The four Iron Duke-class battleships saw limited active duty following the end of the war; they were all demilitarised under the terms of the London Naval Treaty signed in 1930. , [File:HandbookFCInstruments1914Plate63.jpeg|thumb|500px|Turret Indicating Lamp & Gong Circuits]], The control arrangements were as follows. The adjustable temperature scale plate could vary between 40 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and a "C" corrector could alter the ballistic coefficient by +/- 20%. The plates were easily washed away, though, and without them, water easily entered the ship and caused significant flooding. , In October 1914, the ship was to be given 7 Pattern 1582 Electric Radiators to warm cabins whose stoves could not be used for heating them. Iron Duke at the Battle of Jutland, Renouf Torpedo Tactical Instrument Type Bs, Renouf Torpedo Tactical Instrument Type Fs, The Technical History and Index: Fire Control in H.M. The Small Type Training Receivers were pattern number 18.. This page was last modified on 29 March 2020, at 07:46. Firing keys were Pattern 872, and each gun had a fire gong. ", Iron Duke recommissioned at Portsmouth on 21 March 1919 to become the flagship in the Mediterranean. Rose Service Record. They were equipped with hinged plates that were designed to close off the casemate opening in heavy seas. After repairs were effected, the ship resumed her duties as a depot vessel until the end of the war. required that the customary binocular-based transmitters be foregone in favour of placing the transmitter on or below the floorboards and to drive it by a shaft from a Torpedo Deflection Sight Mark IV. She was named 'Iron Duke' after Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, who commanded the victorious allied army in the decisive battle against Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo in June 1815. Benbow was scrapped in 1931 and Marlborough followed in 1932. , The Iron Duke-class ships mounted a main battery of ten 13.5 inch (34.3 cm) Mk V(H) guns [Note 1] in five twin gun turrets, all mounted on the centreline. "Rapid Salvos" was ordered after three salvos, and the ship fired seven times in the next 85 seconds – faster than the guns could be continuously loaded. D'Eyncourt Papers. , In 1917, it was decided that these should probably all have mechanical links from the director and pointers indicating the aloft Evershed's bearing. , Some ships had C.O.S.es within the control positions so they could be connected to either T.S.., The five 13.5-in turrets were each a separate group with a local C.O.S. The class comprised four ships: Iron Duke, Marlborough, Benbow, and Emperor of India. Ships, http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/tfs/index.php?title=H.M.S._Iron_Duke_(1912)&oldid=302798, rapid ranging with double salvos and ladders, rapid salvo firing under new regulations intended to eliminate catastrophic explosions as at Jutland. Gough-Calthorpe]].  The disparity in Dreyer Marks creates a loose impression that all ships were initially given Mark I tables and for some reason Marlborough missed her chance for an upgrade, perhaps due to her damage at the Battle of Jutland. range receivers on the 6-in guns were fitted with Usborne Accelerating Gear. However, the Iron Dukes had improved armour and a more powerful secondary armament of 6-inch weapons instead of the 4-inch mounted on the earlier ships. , The guns fired at a rate of 1.5–2 rounds per minute. O.O.Q.  These launched Mk II torpedoes that carried a 515 lb (234 kg) TNT warhead. Fisher Service Record. , She was re-commissioned at Portsmouth on 20 February, 1935 to continue her role as a training ship.. The Iron Duke class battleships saw the return of the 6in gun, last seen on pre-dreadnought battleships. so that it could be connected to, The 6-in guns were formed into three 2 gun groups on each side, and the circuits for each side are led through one of two 3-way C.O.S..es offering the following modes:, The ships were fitted with a cam-type tripod-type director in a light aloft tower on the foremast along with a directing gun in 'X' turret. A turn of two points away was then taken, and firing resumed after pausing three minutes firing was resumed. The Iron Duke class was a group of four dreadnought battleships built for the British Royal Navy before the First World War. had a grouping switch so that any transmitter could address either or both of the other groups on its broadside. , Iron Duke undertook a short range gunnery practice on 20 December, 1915.. Allen Service Record. She was fully equipped sometime in 1914 prior to the start of the war. A typical British battleship of World War I. They had two speed settings; 31 kn (57 km/h; 36 mph) and 45 kn (83 km/h; 52 mph). , Iron Duke commissioned at Portsmouth on 10 March, 1914, by Captain Robert N. Lawson as the flagship of the Home Fleets, Admiral Sir George A. Callaghan. They were built as part of the 1911 Naval Programme, designed the year after Lord Fisher retired as First Sea Lord. , The ships also had Gun Ready signals in the T.S. Forbes Service Record. Limited "slit space" in the C.T.  The oiler Rosalind was blown into collision with Iron Duke on 18 March, 1914, causing bent awning stanchions and damaging a number of scuttles.